Since 2014 the Andrew Carnegie Free Library & Music Hall, and the Captain Thomas Espy Post, have brought more than fifty Civil War historians here to Carnegie to speak in the Lincoln Gallery as part of our 2nd Saturday Civil War Lecture Series. These lectures are free and open to the public, and are held on the second Saturday of each month, from January – May, and September – November. We invite our community, our patrons, and all Civil War enthusiasts from the greater Pittsburgh area to attend these events…
The 2nd Saturday Lecture Series is made possible by the Massey Charitable Trust.
For more information please contact Espy Post Curator, Jon-Erik Gilot, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saturday, February 11, 2023, 1:00PM
IN PERSON at ACFL&MH & Online!
- February 11, 2023 – Abbi Smithmyer: Monument Vandalism & Destruction During & After the Civil War
- March 11, 2023 – Evan Portman: Civilian Stories from the Battle of Gettysburg
- April 15, 2023 – Symposium: In Great Deeds, On Great Fields: The Gettysburg Campaign at 160 Years
- May 13, 2023 – Dr. Mat Lively: Calamity at Chancellorsville: The Wounding & Death of Stonewall Jackson
- June 10, 2023 – Melissa Hacker Winn: Images from the Dead Letter Office
- September 9, 2023 – Benjamin E. Myers: American Citizen: Letters of the 46th Pennsylvania Infantry
- October 14, 2023 – Jon-Erik Gilot: Dangerfield Newby’s Fight for Freedom
- November 11, 2023 – Codie Eash: Abraham Lincoln’s Visit to the Gettysburg Battlefield
In the spring of 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic forced us to briefly pivot our 2nd Saturday Civil War Lecture Series to a digital platform. We are grateful to all of our speakers who worked with us to present and record their material online for a wider audience to enjoy.
January 14, 2023 – David Albert: The Civil War as the Watershed Event in American History
October 09, 2021: Cindy Crytzer – A Civil War Husband: Letters of a Pennsylvania Roundhead
September 11, 2021: Maria McKelvey – John A. Washington III’s Deadly Encounter in Western Virginia
June 30, 2021: Rich Condon, Jon-Erik Gilot, Diane Klinefelter – Veterans of the Great Rebellion: Captain Thomas Espy G.A.R. Post
June 12, 2021: Zac Cowsert – The West Virginia State Guard in the Civil War, 1863 – 1865
May 08, 2021: Michael Wunsch – Mob Scene at the Palmetto Flag, April 15, 1861
April 10, 2021: Mark Maloy – The First Shots of the Civil War in Charleston Harbor
**Please note: Zoom cut the first 15 minutes from this recording. For the full video, please visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/CarnegieCarnegie