Teen Poetry Slam
Hey poets! Join us in celebrating Poetry Month with our first ever Teen Poetry Slam. The contest is open to students in grades 7 – 12.
Submit your best work and a panel of prominent local poets will choose ten finalists from each age group (grades 7-9 and 10-12) to perform their work in a LIVE competition for a chance to win prizes and all the glory!
- Eligibility Contest is open to students attending Carlynton J/SHS or living in the Carlynton area in grades 7 – 12. There is no cost for entry.
- Make it original Your written submission MUST be your own, original work.
- Watch the time Each finalist will have a maximum of three minutes to perform their poem the SLAM. Practice reading your poem aloud to make sure you do not go over the time limit. There is no penalty for poems shorter than three minutes.
- Be responsible for your words Words have power, they can encourage or oppress. Aim to be positive and leave the hate at the gate. It is absolutely acceptable to express anger, frustration or difficult emotions in your poem, just be creative in your approach. Poems that include hate speech or targeted harassment will be disqualified at the Library’s discretion.
- Submit your poem
- Entries are due by 11:59pm on Saturday, April 10.
- Submit your poem by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include your name, contact phone number, email address and grade level
- One entry will be accepted per student
- Judges / Scoring A panel of prominent local poets will review entries and select ten students each from two age groups (grades 7-9 & 10-12) to progress to round 2 and perform their poem in the virtual SLAM competition live, online on Saturday, April 24. Finalists will be announced on our website on April 15!
Thank you to More Than Words for sponsoring this competition!